In homes all around the country of Barbados, Sunday is most anticipated because it’s the day when the cook/cooks of the household prepare “Sunday food”. Sunday food is a culmination of 3 typical dishes; pie (macaroni), rice and chicken with any additions such as potato salad, coleslaw and garden salad being at the whim of the appointed chef. The recipes below will show how to prepare these 3 great simple dishes.
9 Assorted pieces of Chicken 2 Tbsp. Soy sauce
1 Onion 1. Tbsp. Lemon juice
3 Cloves of Garlic 1 Tbsp. Chicken season
1 Tbsp. Olive oil 1 Cup of BBQ sauce
1 Tsp. Pepper
- Place the chicken pieces in a bowl, and pour in the olive oil and lemon juice. Finely chop the onions and garlic and add them to the bowl. Season the chicken with the pepper, chicken seasoning and soy sauce. Cover the bowl over with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for an hour.
- After you have let the chicken marinade. Line a baking tray with foil and brush gently with some oil, and then place the chicken pieces on it.
- Bake the chicken for 20 minutes at 400°F. Then remove from the oven and use a brush to coat each piece with the BBQ sauce on both sides. Put the chicken back into the oven for 10 minutes, then remove, repeat the coating process and return to the oven again for another 10 minutes. Do the coating process about 3 more times until the BBQ sauce forms a thick layer on the chicken. Remove from the oven and let cool.
½ Lb tube Macaroni 1 Tbsp. Mustard
¾ Cup of evaporated Milk 1 Egg, whisked
1 Grated Onion 5 Cups of grated Cheese
1 Tbsp. Butter 5 Sprigs of Thyme
4 Tbsp. Bread crumbs (optional) ½ Cup of Ketchup
- Boil a pot of salted water just enough to cover the macaroni. Break the uncooked macaroni into 3 parts and add them to the boiling water. Cook the macaroni uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the tubes are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a baking dish.
- Drain the macaroni in a colander and return to the pot. Add in the onion, thyme, milk, butter, egg, ketchup, 4 cups of cheese and mustard. Stir to mix well, and then add in 3 Tbsps. of bread crumbs. Transfer the mixture into the baking dish and top with the last cup of cheese and the remaining bread crumbs. Bake the macaroni for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
1 Cup of Rice
2 Cups of Water
1 Tsp. Salt and Pepper
1 Tbsp. Butter
- With rice there’s a ratio of 1 part rice – 2 parts of water. Wash and pick the rice for any bad grains. Put the rice into a pot, and add in salt and pepper to season.
- Pour in the water and add a tbsp. of butter. Turn the stove up high and bring the rice quickly to a boil, then turn the heat down and let the rice simmer for about 8 to 10 mins.
- Do not lift the lid until the time has elapsed. When the rice is finish all the water should be absorbed and the texture of the rice should be light and fluffy.