1 Onion Olive oil for frying
2 Cloves of Garlic 1 ½ Cup of English cheddar cheese
4 Large potatoes 1 ½ Cup of New Zealand cheddar cheese
500 grams of Minced Beef 1 Maggie bouillon cube (Beef flavoured)
Salt and Pepper to taste 1 Small can of Mushrooms
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Finely chop the onions and garlic and add them to the pan stirring them occasionally for about 3 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and stir for an additional minute and season with salt and pepper. Finally stir in the minced beef with a bouillon cube and let the beef cook thoroughly. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Peel and wash the potatoes. Slice the potatoes into thin circles and add them to a pot of salted boiling water. Cook the potatoes until tender, using a knife to test that they are finished then drain them and set aside.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and add in the potatoes. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper and stir in the ketchup. Mix the ketchup in with the potatoes well and then stir in the minced beef. Mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease an adequately sized dish and spoon half of the beef and potato mixture to form the first layer. Use a spatula to smooth the mixture out a little. Sprinkle the layer lightly with the English cheddar cheese and then lightly with the New Zealand cheddar cheese. Spoon the second half of the beef and potato mixture into the dish and repeat the same procedure with the cheese.
- Cover the dish with foil and let it bake in the oven for 30 – 45 minutes.