Chicken piccata is an easy Italian dish that can be enjoyed with pasta or rice. The technique involves chicken breasts which are butterflied, or thinly cut, before being sautéed or pan-fried and served in a sauce made of butter, lemon, herbs and spices. The simple recipe below provides a chicken piccata that your entire family will love. Most children love chicken, so this dish will likely become a hit in your household.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly cut
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of white wine
- 1 cup of low sodium chicken broth.
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1/4 cup of capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 of a lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- All purpose flour, for dredging
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Start off by preheating the olive oil in a large non-stick skillet.
- Next, combine the flour, salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge the chicken breasts in the seasoned flour, shaking off the excess.
- Add the butter to the heated olive oil and pan-fry the chicken breasts until they’re golden brown on each side or for about 3 minutes per side. When the chicken has been pan-fried, remove and add the chopped shallot. Cook the shallot for about 2 minutes until it becomes translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the white wine and let it simmer for 2 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate. The wine should reduce in quantity by half. Add the chicken broth, lemon juice and some salt and pepper and cook until the liquid is reduced by half. Re-add the chicken and capers. Cook for 2 minutes or until the sauce thickens, then add the parsley, thyme, and lemon slices and cook for half minute. Remove the chicken and place it on a platter. To complete the dish, pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish it with parsley.