Chicken pot pie is an American classic that many families enjoy for dinner. The dish is not difficult to make and is guaranteed to lift your mood. There are several variations of chicken pot pie. Some choose to encase the chicken mixture fully in flaky pastry while others choose to add the mixture to dishes and add a top crust. The recipe below uses the latter technique and is so packed with flavour that you will definitely make it again.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of chicken breast, diced
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/8 cup of frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup of chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon of fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Start off by preheating your oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C).
- Next, take a medium saucepan and add the extra virgin olive oil before adding the diced chicken breast. Cook the pieces for 5 minutes then add the carrot, celery and garlic. Allow the contents to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir the butter into the saucepan and allow it to melt. Then mix in the flour and cook for about a minute.
- Add the chicken broth, fresh parsley leaves and fresh thyme leaves and boil for roughly 15 minutes before adding the heavy cream, onion and frozen peas. Be sure to lower the heat to medium-low so that the liquid can properly thicken and the onion can properly cook. This will take about 10 minutes. Once the liquid has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside.
- Allow the chicken mixture to cool for about 5 minutes. Place your dish on the pastry sheet and cut the pastry about an inch bigger than the dish. Spray the dish with non-stick cooking spray and add the chicken mixture to your dish before placing the crust on top and crimping the excess pastry around the dish. Brush the top and side of the pastry with your beaten egg. Sprinkle the chopped rosemary leaves on the top of the pastry. Use a knife to make small cuts in the pastry to allow steam to escape.
- Lastly, place the dish in the oven and bake it for about 35 minutes or until the pastry appears golden brown. Allow the chicken pot pie to cool for 10 minutes before serving it.