Many dessert options include pies or cakes. There are so many different types that can be baked to be served as dessert after a meal. Lemon meringue pie is one of the several baked pies enjoyed as a dessert. The pie is made with a shortcrust pastry crust, a lemon custard filling and meringue topping. The pie is easy to make and made with many ingredients that you will most likely have in your home. Below is the recipe for a classic lemon meringue recipe that is so good you’ll want to pass on to your children.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 large lemons, juiced and zested
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 1 (9 inch) pie crust
- 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup of cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
PREP: 30 minutes
COOK: 15 minutes
READY IN: 45 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 8 servings
- Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Using non-stick cooking spray, spray the pie crust before lining the interior of the crust with foil and filling it with pie weights. Bake the crust for 10 minutes before removing it from the foil and removing the foil and weights and bake for another 15 minutes.
- While the crust bakes, take a medium saucepan and add 1 cup of sugar, the cornstarch and the salt. Mix in the water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Cook the contents over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Add the butter. In a small bowl, add the egg yolks and whisk in 1/2 of the sugar mixture. Whisk the eggs yolks and sugar mixture back into the saucepan. Allow the content to boil and cook until the mixture thickens, making sure to stir constantly. Remove the saucepan from the heat and pour the lemon filling into the baked pie crust.
- Next, whisk the egg whites in a large metal bowl until they become frothy to make the meringue. Gradually add the sugar and cream of tartar and mix to the mixture forms stiff peaks.
- To complete the pie, spread the meringue over the lemon filling and form little peaks before baking the pie for an additional 15 minutes or until it becomes golden brown. Allow the pie to cool before serving.