Custard is a dessert or dessert sauce usually made from milk, sugar, vanilla and eggs. Custard can be made on the stove using a double boiler or a saucepan or it can be baked in a water bath. The exact origin of custard is unknown but custard has been around of centuries. It can be made in many flavours like chocolate, orange, vanilla, or several others. One such flavour is coconut. The uses and benefits of coconut in the culinary world and beyond are numerous. Coconut products used in the culinary world include coconut water, coconut milk, coconut oil or grated coconut. In recent years, the benefits of coconut oil have been discovered. Since then, coconut oil is being used in skincare and hair products. However, coconut oil has been used in various cultures for many years. In India, coconut oil has been used in oil pulling to help remove toxins from the mouth and body. Because of these many benefits, coconut is perfect for use in desserts like custard. The recipe below makes a baked version of coconut custard that is simple to make and will be enjoyed by coconut lovers.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons of grated coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 50 minutes
READY IN: 1 hour 10 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 4 servings
- Start off by preheating the oven to 325 degrees F (160 degree C).
- Next, add the granulated sugar and eggs to a medium bowl. Mix the ingredients until well combined using an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachments. Set the bowl aside.
- After the granulated sugar and eggs have been combined, add the coconut milk to a medium saucepan and heat until it bubbles. Be sure not to bring the coconut milk to a boil. Gradually add the hot milk to the egg mixture, about a 1/4 each time, and stir constantly using a whisk. Once the milk has been added to the egg mixture, stir in the vanilla extract, grated coconut and ground cinnamon.
- To complete the coconut baked custard, pour the mixture into 4 ramekins or custard cups. Place the ramekins or cups in a baking pan. Add hot water into the baking pan till it reaches halfway up the sides of the ramekins or cups. Bake the custard for 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the custard to cool for 30 minutes. Cover the ramekins or cups with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours. Top with whipped cream and serve.