Flan cake is a combination of two well loved desserts. Flan has been enjoyed for centuries. Similarly, cakes have been around since the times of Vikings. Somewhere along the way, the two desserts were combined to make a truly genius masterpiece. The recipe below makes a unique, delicious dark chocolate flan cake that will be loved by everyone.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/4 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa
- 4 ounces of dark chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons of butter
- 1/3 cup of caramel sauce
- 3/4 cup of milk
- 4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 (14 ounce) can of evaporated milk
- 1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condensed milk
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
PREP: 15 minutes
COOK: 1 hour 15 minutes
READY IN: 1 hour 30 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 10 servings
- Start off by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). After preheating the oven, spray a large 12-cup bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a double boiler over medium-high heat, add the dark chocolate and the butter and stir constantly until melted and combined. Once the ingredients have been combined, remove the bowl from the heat and set aside.
- Next, take a sieve and sift the all purpose flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa into a large bowl. After the dry ingredients have been sifted, add the 3 of the eggs, granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract to the stand mixer and mix until well combined. After the ingredients have been combined, add the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture and mix well. Gradually add half of the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Once combined, add the remainder and repeat.
- Add the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, the remaining eggs, egg yolks, and the remaining vanilla extract to the blender and blend on a medium speed for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the caramel syrup before adding the chocolate cake batter into the bunt pan and smooth using a silicon spatula so that the batter sits evenly in the pan. Next, pour the flan mixture on top of the cake batter. Be sure to leave some space at the top of the pan for when the cake rises. Cover the pan in aluminum foil. Pour boiling water in a baking pan until the pan is filled halfway. Place the bunt pan in the center of the water bath before placing it in the oven.
- Bake the dark chocolate flan cake for 1 hour covered before removing the foil and baking uncovered for 15 minutes. Once the cake has finished baking, allow it to cool for 1 hour. Recover the pan with foil and refrigerate overnight. After the flan cake has been properly chilled, invert it onto a cake platter. Slice and serve.