The uses of egg as a breakfast dish are so vast that it would take forever to list. One kind of breakfast dish that uses eggs is Eggs Benedict. Eggs Benedict is an American breakfast dish which consists of poached eggs, English muffins, Canadian bacon and hollandaise sauce. Eggs Benedict are quick and easy to make, making it the perfect dish for persons in a rush. The recipe below provides an easy way to make Eggs Benedict that is packed with flavour.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 medium eggs
- 1/2 of an English muffin
- 1/2 teaspoon of distilled white vinegar
- 2 slices of Canadian bacon
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter, softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of water
- Using the double boiler method over a medium-low heat, combine the egg yolk, lemon juice, and water using a whisk.
- Next, add the melted butter and mix continuously until it is incorporated. If the hollandaise sauce becomes too thick, whisk in 1/2 teaspoon of hot water. Once the melted butter has been properly incorporated, stir in the salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper before removing from the heat and cover to keep the sauce warm.
- Start off by filling a medium skillet with water. Add the distilled vinegar and begin slowly boiling.
- Add the egg to the simmering water and cook it for about 3 minutes.
- Next, toast the English muffin then quickly spread the softened butter to the cut side of the slice allowing it to melt. Spray a small skillet with non-stick cooking spray before adding the Canadian bacon to a small skillet over medium-high heat and allowing each side of the slices to brown.
- Once the egg has been poached, remove it from the water and place on a paper towel lined plate so that excess water can be absorbed.
- To finish, place the browned Canadian bacon on the English muffin slice then add the poached egg on top of the bacon. Lastly, add the hollandaise sauce to complete. Serve hot.