Fish and chips are a popular English take-away food where chips or French fries are served with fish that has been coated in a batter and fried. The dish is easy to make and can be adapted to serve your personal tastes. The recipe below makes 2 servings of delicious marlin seasoned to perfection along with the perfect portion of chips.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 steaks of marlin
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 large lemons
- 4 medium Idaho/English potatoes, blanched, peeled and cut into long fingers
- 1 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- In a large bowl, add the steaks of marlin before adding the salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and the juice and zest of the lemons. Make sure that the marlin is well coated before covering the bowl with plastic wrap and placing it in the refrigerator. Allow the fish to marinate for at least 15 minutes. For the best results, allow the fish to marinate overnight.
- In a deep fryer, add enough extra virgin olive oil to cover the chips. Allow the oil to heat. Test the temperature by adding a chip to the oil. If it stays afloat and the oil bubbles, then add the remaining chips to the frying basket and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the deep fryer and drain the excess oil on a paper towel lined plate.
- After the fish has been marinated, heat some oil in a skillet. Dredge the steaks of fish in the seasoned breadcrumb before frying the fish. Fry on each side for about 3 minutes. Once the fish has been properly fried, remove the steaks from the skillet and place on a paper towel lined plate.
- Transfer the fried fish and chips to fresh plates and serve immediately with some ketchup and tartar sauce for the fish.