This traditional Caribbean meal plays on a classic combination of foods. It’s an easy recipe, it cooks quickly and the taste will blow your mind. Give it a try.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ green sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- ½ red sweet pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- ¼ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano or 1 heaping tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish (Optional)
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 tbsp honey
- Olive oil or coconut oil
Honey Fried Bananas
- Lightly drizzle oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Arrange banana slices in pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, whisk together honey and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Remove pan from heat and pour honey mixture over banana.
- Allow to cool and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Rice and Beans
- Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and sweet peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the black beans, vinegar and cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.