Chocolate is loved and even craved by many and although chocolate cake is a great dessert, you must also try a chocolate pie. The heavier concentration of chocolate in every bite is simply heavenly and although you may promise yourself to eat just one small slice a day you will break that promise every single time. Follow this simple chocolate pie recipe to self-satisfy your cravings.
8oz All-purpose Flour 150 g Butter
2 Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa 2 Tbsp. Superfine Sugar
1 – 2 Tbsp. Cold Water
- To make the dough for the pie we are going to make special chocolate flavoured pastry type dough. Sift the flour and butter into a bowl and mix well. Next rub in the butter. To do this, add the butter to the flour and then using the tips of the finger, squeeze the butter into the flour between the fingertips and rub the fingertips them together. Repeat this process until all the dough forms tiny bits and looks likes breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and the cold water making sure that the water is adequate to mix into soft dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- After you’ve let the dough chill. Lightly flour your work surface and roll the dough out so that it is able to line a 9 inch pie dish. Line the dough inside the dish with parchment paper and fill with dried beans. The beans are to hold the form and shape of the dough especially at the sides of the dish so that the shape of the dough doesn’t fall apart.
- Put the pie dough in the oven and bake it in a 375°F oven for 15 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven and at this point make sure that the dough has hardened enough that removing the beans does not make the dough fall from the sides of the pan. If the dough is set, remove the beans and parchment paper and replace it in the oven to bake for another 10 minutes. After the shell is finished take it out of the oven and let it cool.
175 g Butter 150 g Semisweet Chocolate
12 oz. Brown Sugar 1 ¼ Cups of light Cream
4 Eggs, lightly beaten 1 Tsp. Vanilla extract
1 Tbsp. Unsweetened Cocoa
- To make the filling, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl and beat in the eggs 1 at a time with the cocoa. To melt the chocolate get a heatproof bowl and place it over a pot of boiling water. Break the chocolate up into smaller pieces and put it into the bowl letting it melt. Beat the chocolate into the mixture with the light cream and vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into the pastry shell and bake for 45 minutes at 325°F. When finished the pie should be set and firm.
- Let the pie cool completely, then transfer it to a plate, if you so desire. Decorate the pie with grated chocolate flakes and curls then let it chill in the fridge until it is ready to serve.