Pies are generally loved by many because of their great taste and the many options. At Thanksgiving, a popular dessert option is pumpkin pie. Another popular dessert is an apple pie, the recipe below is simple and the ingredients aren’t hard to find. You might even have several of these items in your homes already. The pie serves 8 people and is absolutely delicious. Enjoy!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 pounds of apples, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 9 inch pastry for double-crust pie
- 6 ounces of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 45 minutes
READY IN: 1 hour 5 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 8 servings
- First, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (191 degrees C).
- After preheating the oven, take a large bowl and add the apples and toss them with the lemon juice. This stops them from appearing brown too quickly. Next, add the granulated sugar, all purpose flour, ground cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss and mix together by hand to coat the apples.
- After coating the apples, spray a 9-inch pie dish with non-stock cooking spray. Then line it with the bottom crust and trim the edges until about 1 inch of excess crust remains. Add the apple mixture before placing the remaining crust over the filling. Trim the top crust to 1 inch remains and cut four slits in the centre of the unbaked pie. Beat the egg with 2 tablespoons of water and generously brush it over the pastry. Sprinkle with the caster sugar. Loosely cover the edges of the pie with foil.
- Lastly, bake the pie in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes, remove the foil and bake uncovered for 25 more minutes or until the crust appears golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack for 1-2 hours before serving alongside a scoop of vanilla ice cream.