Jamaican cuisine can be quite vibrant to those who are unfamiliar to it. This dish is filled with colour and flavor. The Salt Fish and Ackee is flavourful, unique and will please everyone’s taste buds.
- 1/2 pound salted cod or alternative
- 1 onion (julienne)
- 1 tomato, seeds removed (cubed)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 green bell pepper, seeds removed (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper, seeds removed (sliced)
- 2 scallions (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Black pepper to taste
- Wash the salted cod with water and let it soak in cold water for an hour. Remove and dry.
- Place the dry salted cod in a pot of boiling water, then simmer for 20 minutes. Drain in a colander and cool under running water. Chop or break the fish into the desired size. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium heat. Start by sautéing the garlic for under a minute. Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add the peppers, scallions, tomatoes and thyme and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the fish and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and season with black pepper.