Although parfaits originated in France and are made differently, I prefer the North American version of the dessert. In my opinion, the perfect parfaits are made with berries and cookies and cream. Because I love both so much, I decided that it would be an injustice not to include either type of parfait in this recipe. The below recipe which makes 2 berry parfaits and 2 cookies and cream parfaits is perfect for families of 4. A trick that my family uses to make sure that we get some of each is swap and share. That way you’re guaranteed to be able to enjoy the deliciousness of both.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 cup of granola
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 1 cup of assorted berries
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/8 cup of vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream, separated, 1 cup whipped to stiff peaks
- 1 1/4 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 10 Oreo cookies, crushed
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 5 minutes
- Start off by adding the vanilla pudding, 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract and milk to a small saucepan to make the cookies and cream parfaits. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until the mixture becomes thick, while making sure to stir constantly. After the mixture thickens, pour it over the chocolate chips in a small bowl and stir together well, allowing the chocolate chips to melt. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap and place the bowl in the refrigerator and allow it to cool for 2-3 hours.
- To make the berry parfaits, add the plain Greek yogurt and the 1/4 cup of heavy cream to the stand mixer and beat until the mixture thickens. Transfer to a small bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the mixture for 30 minutes.
- Next, toss the berries with the sugar in a small bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.
- After the mixture for the cookies and cream parfaits has been cooled for 2-3 hours, add 1/2 of the whipped cream to the bowl and mix until combined. Once combined, set the bowl aside.
- To serve, add 1/2 of the chocolate mixture to the bottom of a parfait glass before add 1/2 of the crushed oreos. After adding the oreos, add 1/2 of the whipped cream before topping with a whole oreo cookie. Repeat the process in another parfait glass. Place 2 more parfait glasses before you, add 1/4 of the yogurt mixture to the bottom of each glass before topping it with the berries and then the granola. Repeat the process. Serve chilled.