Pumpkin pie is a popular dessert that is recognized as a symbol of harvest time. It is most baked in the United States and Canada at Thanksgiving and also during the Christmas season and Halloween. Pumpkin pie is made with a pumpkin-based custard filling packed with spices. Pumpkin pie can be made with many added spices including cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, cloves, allspice and vanilla. You can either choose to add these spices themselves or purchase a store bought combination called pumpkin pie spice. Similarly, pumpkin pie can be made with pumpkin puree from scratch but many persons choose to buy the store bought, canned alternative. With November soon approaching, the recipe below will guarantee that your family will be thankful for at least one thing: the delicious pumpkin pie that you made.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of shortening, cut into cubes
- 5 tablespoons of cold water
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 (15 ounce) can of pumpkin puree
- 1 (12 ounce) can of evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 45 minutes
READY IN: 1 hour 5 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 8 servings
- In a medium bowl, mix the all purpose flour, salt, granulated sugar and ground cinnamon. Add the shortening to the mixture and add 1 tablespoon of the cold water at a time. Mix the dough until it becomes moist and holds together.
- Dust some flour onto a board and your hands. Use your hands and shape the dough into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough on the board. Place a 9-inch pie plate faced down on the rolled dough and use a knife to cut about 1 inch larger than the plate. Spray the pie plate with non-stick cooking spray and press the dough into the bottom of the plate. Crimp the edges of the dough and set aside.
- Start off by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Using a whisk, combine the pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, eggs, ground cinnamon, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, ground cardamom, salt and lemon zest. Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- After the ingredients have been well combined, pour the pie filling into the unbaked pie crust and bake the pumpkin pie for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the pie to cool for 30 before refrigerating overnight. Serve with whipped cream.