If you’re looking to eat cleaner and become a vegetarian, rice and beans is a possible alternative. Beans are high in protein and can be substituted for meat. Rice and beans is a stable food in various cultures worldwide because of the accessibility and health benefits behind the dish. It is an easy and quick dish to make and can be eaten for lunch or dinner. The recipe below adds some spice to classic rice and beans that serves 6. This dish will leave you feeling full and is guaranteed to work your metabolism.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup of parboiled rice
- 1 1/2 cups of low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can of red kidney beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 stalk of celery, diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- Fresh parsley leaves, chopped, for garnishing
- Fresh thyme leaves, chopped, for garnishing
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter. Add the finely chopped onion, celery and garlic. Cook the ingredients for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add the black beans, red kidney beans, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder and cumin, and simmer on a low heat for about 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the vegetable stock to a large saucepan over medium heat and bring it to a boil before adding the rice. Cover the saucepan and lower the heat. Allow the rice to cook for about 20 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Once the rice has been cooked, remove the saucepan from the heat and set it aside for 5 minutes.
- To complete the dish, add the beans mixture to the saucepan with the rice and gently stir to combine. Once combined, transfer the spicy beans and rice to a serving dish and garnish with fresh parsley and thyme leaves.