Key lime pie is a popular dessert which originated in the Florida Keys. The dessert got its name because of the limes used to make it, which were grown specifically in the Keys. Traditionally, the pie is made by combining lime juice, sweetened condensed milk and egg yolks in a pie crust. However, some people today choose to make it in a pie shell made from graham crackers or even without the crust. The recipe below is broken down to show you the steps necessary to create each component of the perfect key lime pie. Whether it be a family member, friend or colleagues, you can be sure that everyone who eats a slice of this pie will love it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 4 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 (14 ounce) can of sweetened condense milk
- 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup of heavy cream, chilled
PREP: 20 minutes
COOK: 15 minutes
READY IN: 35 minutes
SERVING SIZE: 8 servings
- Start off by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, mix the graham cracker crumbs, granulated sugar and melted butter until well combined. Press the mixture into the bottom of a 9” pie plate.
- After pressing the mixture into the bottom of the pie plate, bake the crust for 10 minutes and remove from oven to cool while leaving the oven on.
- Using a whisk, combine the egg yolks, sweetened condensed, lime juice and zest from the lime. Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- After the ingredients have been well combined, pour the pie filling into the baked crust and set it aside. Bake the key lime pie for 15 minutes and allow to cool before refrigerating overnight.
- To finish the pie, add the heavy cream to the stand mixer and beat it to stiff peaks. Top the pie with the whipped cream and garnish with slices of lime before serving.