Water is now seen as a very essential part of our diet. Throughout the years, doctors have recommended that we drink at least 8 glasses per day. The consumption of water has many benefits to our health so we must ensure that it is safe for drinking. Drinking unsafe water can compromise our health and cause numerous waterborne illnesses such as: dysentery and cholera etc. It is deemed unsafe when it contains pathogens, toxins and contaminants.
Let us explore the various ways in which water can be made safe for drinking:
This is probably the most common way people ensure that water is safe before drinking it. This process kills bacteria and other pathogens that are destroyed by heat. The ideal temperature for boiling water is 100°C for at least 10 minutes .Unfortunately, boiling only eliminates pathogens but not toxins and or neither contaminants hence it is largely use for water that is regarded as relatively clean.
Surprisingly, household bleach can be used to make water safe for drinking. The active ingredient in bleach that makes water safe for dinking is – chlorine. Water treatment plants incorporate this as a part of their purification process in making it safe for the public to consume. It is recommended that for 1/8 teaspoon/ 8 drops of bleach is added to 1 gallon of water that is clear in appearance to make it safe. On the other hand, for water that looks cloudy, 1/4 teaspoon/16 drops of bleach be added instead. After the addition of bleach, the container should be shaken well and left to sit for approximately 30 minutes before drinking.
In modern day, a lot of people have invested in a home purifier that is attached to their taps to further rid the water of impurities or contaminants. Purifier’s might be the most expensive way to make water safe for drinking because it involves the use of filters which may require frequent changing to ensure its effectiveness. Some filters can be a bit costly.
Remember, unsafe water is never ideal for drinking. So ensure you boil, chlorinate or purify it before you drink!