Chili is a stew which contains chili peppers, meat, tomatoes and beans. Originally known as chili con carne which translates to chili with meat, chili is usually spicy and can also include garlic, onion and cumin. Usually, chili is made with ground beef but it can also be made with other meats. The recipe that follows provides 4 servings of chili perfect for a cold day.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can of kidney beans, drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 red sweet pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can of crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon of chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon of freshly ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon of parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Start off by adding the lemon juice to the ground turkey and allowing it to sit for 5 minutes. Preheat the extra virgin olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the ground turkey and cook it until half cooked.
- Next, add the chopped onion, chopped pepper and minced garlic and cook for 5 minutes. After the vegetables have been cooking for 5 minutes, add the tomato paste, chili powder, cayenne pepper, ground cumin, freshly ground black pepper, salt, dried oregano leaves and parsley flakes. Stir thoroughly.
- Pour in the chicken broth before adding the crushed tomatoes and kidney beans. Bring the contents to a boil before reducing the heat to low and covering the pot with a lid. Simmer the chili for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until it has thickened. Serve warm.